Choosing career of IT Support Professional
The IT Computer Support Specialist program prepares you for a career in end user support, to help businesses administer, troubleshoot and deploy Windows and OSX computers and servers, IOS, Android and Windows Mobile smartphones and tablets. Through hands-on activities and labs, you will learn how to set up and configure laptops, desktop, server and mobile operating systems and work with technologies such as machine virtualization and wireless networking. Keys to your success are keeping up with the latest technologies, having strong problem-solving skills and having the ability to work alone and with others in training and troubleshooting capacities.
What do IT Support Professionals do
IT support specialist assists users who are having problems with software, computers, servers, network or mobile devices. Some support professionals assist companies’ customers, while others provide in-house support to an organizations’ information technology (IT) staff. IT support specialists are also known as technical support specialists. Those who provide help over the phone, via online chat or email, are called help desk technicians.
In addition to their technical skills, a IT support specialist must have certain soft skills, or personal qualities, to succeed in this field. Strong active listening skills are a must. Without them it is very hard to understand peoples’ needs. Good speaking skills allow a computer support specialist to convey information to those he or she is trying to help. They also need good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
As part of the day to day work IT Support professionals require following skills and experiences:
- Install, configure and support desktop and server operating systems
- Configure and deploy Windows and OSX laptops and servers
- Administer and support IOS, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets
- Support, monitor and troubleshoot computers and computer networks
- Secure network devices to protect company assets
- Utilize soft skills and Customer Service Skills to help end user troubleshoot issues
- Apply Analytical and problem solving skills to resolve end user issues
How much IT Computer Support Specialist make in salaries and wages
Based on the 2015 EMSI Occupational Overview report median earnings for IT Computer Support Specialists is $22.56/hr (Download 2015 the copy of IT Computer Support EMSI Occupation Job Growth Salary and Wages Report for Milwaukee Ozaukee Washington Waukesha Counties )
According to the U.S. Department of Labor:
- 2012 national median annual pay for IT computer support specialist is $48,900 ($23.51 per hour)
- 2012 average annual wage for IT computer support specialist in Wisconsin is $41,000
Job Growth Projection for IT Computer Support Specialists in Milwaukee are
Milwaukee Area Technical College referenced Economic Modeling Specialists, Inc. projects job growth of IT Computer Support position positions in Southeast Wisconsin region. According to Economic Modeling Specialists Inc. there will be a 21.6% job growth rate (3791 openings) for the region (Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington, and Waukesha Counties), a 23% increase in job openings for the state, and a national increase of 19.7% from 2014 to 2024.
Based on the 2015 EMSI Occupational report there is a projected 21.6% growth in IT Computer Support Specialist jobs in the region (Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington, and Waukesha Counties) between 2014-2024. Based on this estimate 674 additional jobs will be created between 2014-2024, projecting the total number of IT Computer Support Specialist jobs available in 2014 as 3791. Average Monthly postings for IT Computer Support Specialist (Jan 2014-Jan 2015) is 318 postings. Average monthly hires or IT Computer Support Specialist (Jan 2014-Jan 2015) is 149 jobs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of IT computer support specialists is projected to grow 17 percent from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations.
Growth will be highest at firms that provide cloud-computing technology. Employment of support specialists in computer systems design and related firms is projected to grow 49 percent from 2012 to 2022. Employment growth also should be strong in healthcare industries. This field is expected to greatly increase its use of information technology, and support services will be crucial to keep everything running properly.
Advancement opportunities for graduates of IT Support program
After spending time helping customers or internal corporate users, some IT support specialists are promoted into positions where they help improve the design and efficiency of future products. Some people who begin in this position later become software developers and network and computer systems administrators. As their careers advance, they choose different options available, based on their education and skills they have acquired. Based on the information available on LinkedIn IT Computer Support Specialist students work in Operations, Support, Sales, Healthcare Services, Engineering, Finance, Consulting, Program and Project Management , Information Technology and other organizational units.
We stay in touch with our graduates and collect their advancements and success stories. MATC IT Computer Support Program alumni work in IT Departments of various Milwaukee area employers: Aurora Heath Care, FIS, Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, Kohl’s Department Stores, Northwestern Mutual, Milwaukee Public schools, Johnson Controls, Froedtert Hospital, Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital, Rockwell Automation, City of Milwaukee, CompuCom, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, GE Healthcare, Quad/Graphics, MATC, Medical College of Wisconsin, Harley Davidson Motor Company, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, U.S. Bank, Fiserv, TEKSystems, AT&T, BMO Harris Bank, Time Warner Cable, We Energies and other local Milwaukee based companies.
Is Computer Support Specialist career for me?
- Do you enjoy solving problems and helping others?
- Do you enjoy consistently learning new technologies?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Are you communicating well with others?
- Do you like working with iPads, Android devices, Laptops, Computers, Macs, Smartphones and Tablets?
If you answered yes to these questions, then the challenging world of IT Support Professional may be for you!
Introducing IT Computer Support Specialist Pathway – Education designed for student’s flexibility
MATC’s IT Computer Support Specialist Pathways are designed to help students choose between the different educational educational credential available for IT Computer Support Specialist Program. Pathway allows students to start small and get a certificate in one semester to start searching for the jobs. After getting the certificate students can either continue their studies while being employed (most of IT Computer Support courses are offered in the evenings or online) or take a break in education and return back to the studies later. Student don’t even have to be part of any program and might be taking a course to get better with specific skills and/or technologies. We have designed IT Computer Support Pathway in such way that any technical course students take counts toward either Certificate, Technical Diploma or Associate Degree Educational credentials. Most of the courses are also interchangeable with other MATC programs and also can be transferred toward 4 year degrees.
Pathways are also helpful for students that might have different interests and goals with IT Support technologies, since it offers transfer opportunities to other IT Programs inside or outside of MATC. Curriculum is offered in different methods for flexibility of scheduling. Financial Aid is available to qualified candidates.
IT Computer Support Pathway offers students following benefits:
- Allow students to get educational credentials as they gradually complete studies, by using embedded certificates and technical diplomas
- Build a pathway for IT Support graduates to introduce embedded Certificates and Technical diplomas to provide better employment value for the students and make it easier for them to find the job, after graduating with educational credentials from MATC
- Allow students to get selective educational credentials in 6 month or less to help them start looking for a jobs in IT Support industry after graduation
- Allow students, that had to stop the studies due to employment or family situations, to return back to college and continue their studies to allow them to progress and grow in their current careers
- Refresh the program courses to introduce classes with the current skills, in demand by Milwaukee area employers, to give MATC IT Support graduates completive advantage and help secure and keep jobs
- Improve classroom supplies utilization by adding more exercises into the curriculum that use modern technologies
- Accommodate many needs for prospective student candidates with different objectives and different levels of IT experience
Below is the complete list of MATC IT Support educational credentials and diagram which shows how students can progress in their IT Support education by starting with one semester Certificates, earning Technical Diplomas and graduating with Associate Degree:
- IT Service Center Technician Certificate (61-154-1)
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Certificate(61-154-2)
- Level 2- Service Center Technician Certificate(61-154-3)
- IT – User Support Technician Diploma (30-154-6)
- IT Computer Support Technician(31-154-6)
- Help Desk Support Specialist Technical Diploma (31-154-7)
- IT Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree (10-154-3)
Why study at Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC)
- MATC offers cost effective education allowing students to prepare for this career in two years or less, if you study full time.
- Based on your financial situation you might be eligible for Financial Aid.
- IT Support curriculum is continually being evaluated and updated to reflect the latest technologies. Students attain the skills necessary to not only acquire a job in the IT support industry but also succeed in their new working environment. As part of the INTERFACE project new courses have been introduced to to help students learn smartphone and tablet technologies (IOS, Android and Windows Mobile), which are being adopted by local area businesses, Apple OSX and Microsoft Windows Enterprise Support
- Our instructors have experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty here.
- Most MATC IT Support courses lead to industry certification, adding more job possibilities and helping students to differentiate them self as part of hiring process. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
- MATC’s IT Support Pathway allows students to start with Pathway Certificates and work toward Technical Diploma and Associate Degree Program. These offerings are designed for people with no IT experience as well as those currently working in the technical field to quickly get educational credentials from recognized school and help accelerate your career. Online and face-to-face courses are available, providing students with greater flexibility in completing the program.
- The INTERFACE Project grant from U.S. Department of Labor has made it possible for MATC to purchase state-of-the-art equipment, which is used by the businesses in Wisconsin. We have introduced new classes that teach students how to support Apple workstations and laptops and configure and repair major tablet devices. We have upgraded our labs, purchased mobile equipment, Apple desktops, Apple iPads, Google Nexus and Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. We have also invested in the modern help desk ticketing systems to teach students essentials tools, needed for the classroom. Funds were also invested to purchase the infrastructure for online learning, allowing MATC to provide different education options for the students based on their location and availability. All investments provide students with opportunities to administer and support state-of-the-art equipment used by Wisconsin businesses.
Why Milwaukee employers hire IT Computer Support Graduates
- IT Support Graduates are very skilled with the latest IT technologies. They get hands on experiences as part of the labs and exercises, using actual technologies,devices and software used by local businesses
- Computer Support Program graduates demonstrate continuous learning skills. IT Support curriculum is continually being enhanced to prepare student for new industry trends and power graduates with skills needed by modern Milwaukee enterprises.
- Graduates come to the workplace fully prepared to contribute and deliver value day one. They have skills to support Microsoft Windows systems, Apples OSX devices, Mobile technologies(iPad, Android and Surface) and more.
- Students are knowledgeable on the core core support technologies, processes and procedures: they use Incident Management systems, remote support systems, effective troubleshooting skills and more as part of their labs.
- IT Support graduates learn solid business and soft skills to help them be more effective and provide value to organizations right away. Students attain practical knowledge and skills to help them communicate more effectively, manage stress, be more efficient and productive at work and succeed in the business environment, resulting in more productive workforce for employers
- IT Computer Support Graduates are passionate about technology and success of your business and provide New Perspective and help lead technology upgrades and system integrations on Enterprises.
- Graduates have versatile skills and can work solving different business and technology problems for organizations, contributing in different departments on the enterprise.
- Students can complete organizational upgrade and technology projects, that might require industry certifications. Upon course completion students prepared to take certification exams: CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+ and more.
- IT Support graduates can continue to upgrade their skills with the changing organizational needs. They can go back to college to get additional skills, using newly developed IT Computer Support Pathway.
We prepare you for Industry certifications
As part of IT Support Program we prepare you for industry certifications. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
Discounted vouchers for Certification exams are available to IT Support Students
IT Computer Support Specialist students are eligible to get COMPTIA A+ Exam vouchers at discounted price. As of January 2015 price for the discounted voucher was $89.00 (list price when purchasing directly from COMPTIA was $194.00). Click here to learn more about how students can take advantage of this offer.
MATC IT Support educational options
Below is the list of IT Computer Support education credentials. Students can start by getting a Certificate in one semester, progress and get Technical Diploma in less then one year and graduate Associate Degree in 2 years. Students can start searching jobs after getting a Certificate or a Technical Diploma or choose to continue their education and get Associate Degree. The flexibility is in graduating students faster with Certificates or Technical Diplomas to helping them get employed faster:
- IT Service Center Technician Certificate (61-154-1) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Certificate(61-154-2) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- Level 2- Service Center Technician Certificate(61-154-3) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- IT – User Support Technician Diploma (30-154-6) – can be completed in 2 semesters (8 months)
- IT Computer Support Technician(31-154-6) – can be completed in 2 semesters (8 months)
- Help Desk Support Specialist Technical Diploma (31-154-7) – can be completed in 3 semesters (12 months)
- IT Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree (10-154-3) – can be completed in 4 semesters (24 months)
Modern curriculum for IT Support Courses:
Below is the list of current courses that are part of IT Computer Support program. As industry changes and adopts new technologies we are making changes to the MATC IT Support program to teach these skills to our students. We want you to succeed in your journey to find your IT jobs and improve your lives by learning new technologies. And we want to make it fun and interesting along the way.
|Course ID||Course Title||Industry Certification|
|ITSUP-101||Computer Information System Fundamentals|
|ITSUP-109||Microsoft Office for IT Professionals||MOS 77-418, 77-420|
|ITNET-101||Network Communications (CompTIA Net +)||COMPTIA Net+|
|ITSUP-110||Supporting Microsoft Windows||MCITP (70-688)|
|ITSUP-102||CompTIA A+ Essentials||COMPTIA A+|
|ITSEC-124||Network Security (CompTIA Security+)||COMPTIA Security+|
|ITSUP-108||Enterprise Desktop Support Technician||MCITP (70-685)|
|ITSUP-140||Support Center Analyst (HDI SCA, HDI DST, ITIL)||HDI SCA, HDI DST, ITIL|
|ITSUP-150||Mobile Device Support and Repair|
|ITSUP-152||Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)||Apple ACSP|
|ITSUP-155||IT Careers, resume writing and job search|
|ITSUP-153||COMPTIA Mobility+ (IOS, Android, Windows)||COMPTIA Mobility+|
|ITSUP-177||Intro to IT Projects, Teamwork and Self Management||COMPTIA Project+|
|ITSUP-198||Computer Support Internship|
|ITSUP-199||Computer Support Final Project|
|ITSUP-156||Cloud and Mobile Productivity Tools|
We are constantly improving our program to educate students with latest technologies
We continuously make changes to improve our program and introduce courses that cover new technologies. We work with representatives of the local employers to determine the needs of businesses from greater Milwaukee area and help prepare students with knowledge in technologies, used by local area companies. Following courses have been recently introduced:
ITSUP-156 Cloud and Mobile Productivity Tools
This course introduces students to cloud based and mobile productivity tools use by businesses and individuals. Through business case scenario, labs and hands on exercises students will learn about OmniFocus, If This then That, LastPass, Evernote, Notepad++, Basecamp, TeamViewer, TrueCrypt, WD My Cloud Sharing, and more.
ITSUP-110 Supporting Microsoft Windows 10
This course prepares students to pass Microsoft MCP, MCSA and MCSE certification for latest version of Windows Operating System. Students learn how to effectively manage and maintain current version of Microsoft Windows enterprise system. Through hands on labs students work on OS installation, configuration, remote access, authentication, authorization and security configuration, support of desktop apps and much more.
ITSUP-109 Microsoft Office for IT Professionals
This course prepares students to effectively utilize Microsoft Office in IT Organization. Students will learn features of latest version of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, OneNote and Power point through hands on labs, comprehensive projects and business scenarios.
ITSUP-108 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCITP 70-685)
As part of the class students will learn skills needed to document and resolve problems on a Windows 7 computer in an Enterprise setting. Classwork will contain lectures and labs that explore real-world tasks and scenarios from troubleshooting individual desktops to planning and configuring Windows 7 desktop infrastructure on a broad scale. The course will also prepare students for the MCITP exams 70-685 and 70-686. MATC strongly recommends experience in configuring and supporting desktop or laptop operating systems.
ITSUP-155 IT Careers skills
This course prepares students for careers in Information Technology. Students learn about variety of positions available in IT Computer Support, different career path in IT, how to prepare quality resume, search for the job and apply for a position, go through the interview process, complete background check and secure the employment. Students participate in mock interviews and learn how to use social media to increase their chances to get hired
ITSUP-152 Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
This hands-on course provides an in-depth exploration of troubleshooting of the Apple OS X operating systems and prepares students for Apple OSC Certified Support Professional (ACSP) certification. This course will teach students the best methods for effectively supporting users of the Apple OS X operating system. Course covers labs on installation, setup and configuration, OS X recovery, software updates, file system, FileVault, permissions and sharing, data management, application and processes, network configuration, network services, peripherals, printing and system startup. The course is a combination of lecture and hands-on case study exercises that provide practical real-world experience.
ITSUP-150 Emerging Technologies (Mobile Device Repair)
This course provides students with expert mobile device repair knowledge and advanced repair skills. It incorporates both classroom education and hands-on real world repair scenarios where students will gain immediate knowledge to service and repair smartphones, cellular phones and hand-held devices. Students learn how to disassemble and repair IOS, Android and Windows mobile devices. Students also learn how to troubleshoot phone issues, resolve network communication issues on the device, replace batteries, LCD, broken lens, cameras and touch screens. Course also teaches students the concepts of data transfer and recovery, jailbreaking, and cell phone locking and unlocking.
ITSUP-153 Mobility+ Device Administration (IOS, Android, Windows)
This course will teach students about mobile device management for Android, iOS and Windows phone devices. It will cover using each platform, how it can be supported in the enterprise, BYOD challenges and solutions, and integration of the mobile device platforms into an existing IT administration/support strategy.
Meet IT Computer Support Specialist faculty
Our instructors have many years of experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty.
MATC IT Computer Support Students testimonials and Success stories
Drew shares how IT Computer Support Program helps him become a better technician at his job
Pao shares how MATC IT Computer Support Program helped him get IT Education and secure the employment in Milwaukee Area
Sharmaine shares her story and how MATC IT Computer Support Program helped her
Click here to Register for MATC IT Computer Support and COMPTIA, Microsoft, HDI and ITIL training Classes