Choosing career of IT Support Professional
The IT Computer Support Specialist program prepares you for a career in end user support, to help businesses administer, troubleshoot and deploy Windows and OSX computers and servers, IOS, Android and Windows Mobile smartphones and tablets. Through hands-on activities and labs, you will learn how to set up and configure laptops, desktop, server and mobile operating systems and work with technologies such as machine virtualization and wireless networking. Keys to your success are keeping up with the latest technologies, having strong problem-solving skills and having the ability to work alone and with others in training and troubleshooting capacities.
What do IT Support Professionals do
IT support specialist assists users who are having problems with software, computers, servers, network or mobile devices. Some support professionals assist companies’ customers, while others provide in-house support to an organizations’ information technology (IT) staff. IT support specialists are also known as technical support specialists. Those who provide help over the phone, via online chat or email, are called help desk technicians.
In addition to their technical skills, a IT support specialist must have certain soft skills, or personal qualities, to succeed in this field. Strong active listening skills are a must. Without them it is very hard to understand peoples’ needs. Good speaking skills allow a computer support specialist to convey information to those he or she is trying to help. They also need good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
As part of the day to day work IT Support professionals require following skills and experiences:
- Utilize soft skills and Customer Service Skills to help end user troubleshoot issues
- Apply Analytical and problem solving skills to resolve end user issues
- Install, configure and support desktop and server operating systems
- Configure and deploy Windows and OSX laptops and servers
- Administer and support IOS, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets
- Support, monitor and troubleshoot computers and computer networks
- Secure network devices to protect company assets
After spending time helping customers or internal corporate users, some IT support specialists are promoted into positions where they help improve the design and efficiency of future products. Some people who begin in this position later become software developers and network and computer systems administrators. Some people advance into business and managerial positions.
Is Computer Support Specialist career for me?
- Do you enjoy solving problems and helping others?
- Do you enjoy consistently learning new technologies?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Are you communicating well with others?
- Do you like working with PC computers, Macs, Smartphones and tablets?
If you answered yes to these questions, then the challenging world of IT Support Professional may be for you!
IT Support Career Outlook
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicted employment for computer support specialists would grow by 18% between 2010 and 2020, which is above the average. The main reason cited for this increase in demand is technological advancements, which create a need for individuals and organizations to adopt and understand unfamiliar technology.
IT companies in Milwaukee area are in constant need of IT Support professionals. There is steady job growth ahead based on projections from the MATC Graduate Career Report. Below are some of the highlights of IT Support job outlook – Jobs in the IT computer support field pay high family supporting salaries. – Students completing this program will be assets to organizations because they will have insight in how to resolve technical issues quickly. Customer satisfaction and little company downtime are primary goals of good computer support service.
– According to the U.S. Department of Labor:
- 2012 national median annual pay for IT computer support specialist is $48,900 ($23.51 per hour)
- 2012 average annual wage for IT computer support specialist in Wisconsin is $41,000
IT Computer Support Specialist Pathway
MATC’s IT Computer Support Specialist Pathways are designed to help students choose between the different educational options available for IT computer support specialists. Pathways are also helpful for students that might have different interests and goals with IT Support technologies. Curriculum is offered in different methods for flexibility of scheduling.
Short-term one semester training is designed for those seeking entry-level positions:
- Four-semester pathway includes multiple credentials which allow for job-out opportunities along the way.
- Upon pathway completion, earn IT Computer Support Associate (additional general education course credits might be necessary).
- Multiple articulation agreements exist that allow students to transfer in to four-year colleges with junior standing.
- Courses are offered in an accelerated, blended format, which includes in-class, online and blended activities.
Below is the list and diagram which shows how students can progress in their IT Support education:
- IT Service Center Technician Pathway Certificate
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Specialist Pathway Certificate
- Level 2 Service Center Technician Pathway Certificate
- Advanced Technical Support Pathway Certificate
- IT Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree Program
- Review MATC IT Computer Support Specialist Pathways to learn more about courses that are part of the certificates and Associate Degree Program.
Why study at Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC)
- MATC offers cost effective education allowing students to prepare for this career in two years or less, if you study full time.
- Based on your financial situation you might be eligible for Financial Aid.
- IT Support curriculum is continually being evaluated and updated to reflect the latest technologies. Students attain the skills necessary to not only acquire a job in the IT support industry but also succeed in their new working environment. As part of the INTERFACE project new courses have been introduced to to help students learn smartphone and tablet technologies (IOS, Android and Windows Mobile), which are being adopted by local area businesses, Apple OSX and Microsoft Windows Enterprise Support
- Our instructors have experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty here.
- Most MATC IT Support courses lead to industry certification, adding more job possibilities and helping students to differentiate them self as part of hiring process. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
- MATC’s IT Support Pathway allows students to start with Pathway Certificates and work toward Associate Degree Program. These offerings are designed for people with no IT experience as well as those currently working in the technical field to quickly get educational credentials from recognized school and help accelerate your career. 6) Online and face-to-face courses are available, providing students with greater flexibility in completing the program.
- The INTERFACE Project grant from U.S. Department of Labor has made it possible for MATC to purchase state-of-the-art equipment, which is used by the businesses in Wisconsin. We have introduced new classes that teach students how to support Apple workstations and laptops and configure and repair major tablet devices. We have upgraded our PCs, purchased Apple desktops, Apple iPads, Google Nexus and Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. We have also invested in the modern help desk ticketing systems to teach students essentials tools, needed for the classroom. Funds were also invested to purchase the infrastructure for online learning, allowing MATC to provide different education options for the students based on their location and availability. All investments provide students with opportunities to administer and support state-of-the-art equipment used by Wisconsin businesses.
We prepare you for Industry certifications
As part of IT Support Program we prepare you for industry certifications. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
We are constantly improving our program to educate students with latest technologies
We continuously make changes to improve our program and introduce courses that cover new technologies. We work with representatives of the local employers to determine the needs of businesses from greater Milwaukee area and help prepare students with knowledge in technologies, used by local area companies. Following courses have been introduced in the Fall 2014 semester:
– ITSUP-108 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCITP 70-685).
As part of the class students will learn skills needed to document and resolve problems on a Windows 7 computer in an Enterprise setting. Classwork will contain lectures and labs that explore real-world tasks and scenarios from troubleshooting individual desktops to planning and configuring Windows 7 desktop infrastructure on a broad scale. The course will also prepare students for the MCITP exams 70-685 and 70-686. MATC strongly recommends experience in configuring and supporting desktop or laptop operating systems.
- ITSUP-152 Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
This hands-on course provides an in-depth exploration of troubleshooting of the Apple OS X operating systems and prepares students for Apple OSC Certified Support Professional (ACSP) certification. This course will teach students the best methods for effectively supporting users of the Apple OS X operating system. Course covers labs on installation, setup and configuration, OS X recovery, software updates, file system, FileVault, permissions and sharing, data management, application and processes, network configuration, network services, peripherals, printing and system startup. The course is a combination of lecture and hands-on case study exercises that provide practical real-world experience.
- ITSUP-150 Emerging Technologies (Mobile Device Repair)
This course provides students with expert mobile device repair knowledge and advanced repair skills. It incorporates both classroom education and hands-on real world repair scenarios where students will gain immediate knowledge to service and repair smartphones, cellular phones and hand-held devices. Students learn how to disassemble and repair IOS, Android and Windows mobile devices. Students also learn how to troubleshoot phone issues, resolve network communication issues on the device, replace batteries, LCD, broken lens, cameras and touch screens. Course also teaches students the concepts of data transfer and recovery, jailbreaking, and cell phone locking and unlocking.
- ITSUP-153 Mobility+ Device Administration (IOS, Android, Windows)
This course will teach students about mobile device management for Android, iOS and Windows phone devices. It will cover using each platform, how it can be supported in the enterprise, BYOD challenges and solutions, and integration of the mobile device platforms into an existing IT administration/support strategy.
MATC has campuses in Milwaukee, West Allis, Oak Creek and Mequon
Students join us from different places in Milwaukee metropolitan area. We have students from Milwaukee, Waukesha, Glendale, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, St. Francis, Cudahy, Greenfield, Menomonee Falls, Elm Grove, Brookfield, Thiensville, Cedarburg, Grafton, Port Washington, New Berlin, Wauwatosa, Brown Deer, Bayside and other places. MATC has campuses in Milwaukee, West Allis, Oak Creek and Mequon to help better service our students and offer variety of programs based on your needs.
Meet IT Computer Support Specialist faculty
Our instructors have many years of experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty.
Additional Information about the Program
IT Computer Support Program prepares you for the following Industry Certifications:
- COMPTIA A+ Certification
- COMPTIA Mobility + Certification
- Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
- HDI-SCA (Help Desk Institute Support Center Analyst Certification)
- HDI-DST (Help Desk Institute Deskside Support Technician Certification)
- ITIL Foundation (ITIL Foundation Certification)
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Certification (MCSA Microsoft Certification Exam 70-685)
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows 7 Certification (MCTS Exam 70-680: Windows 7 Configuration)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification (Latest version of Microsoft Office)
- COMPTIA Security+ Certification (COMPTIA Security Plus)
- COMPTIA Network+ Certification (COMPTIA Net+)
Following IT Computer Support Classes are being offered:
- COMPSW-106 Introduction to Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Power Point (Microsoft Office Specialist – MOS)
- ITSUP-101 Computer Information Systems Fundamentals
- ITSUP-102 COMPTIA A+ Essentials
- ITNET-101 Network Communications Network+ (Net+ Plus)
- ITSEC-124 COMPTIA Network Security+ (Sec+)
- ITSUP-140 Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA, HDI-DST, ITIL Foundation)
- ITSUP-108 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCSA Microsoft Certification Exam 70-685)
- ITSUP-150 Mobile Device Repair
- ITSUP-152 Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
- IT-107 Social Networking and Communication
- ITSUP-153 Mobility Plus Admin (IOS, Android, Windows Mobile)
- ITSUP-176 IT Project Management
- ITNET-110 Windows 7 Administration (MCTS Exam 70-680)
- ITSUP-198 Computer Support Internship
- ITSUP-199 Computer Support Specialist Final Project
Click here to Register for MATC IT Computer Support and COMPTIA, Microsoft, HDI and ITIL training Classes