- Based on the article “Windows 10: Microsoft Attempts SaaS Model” by Larry Loeb on Information Week, Loeb stated that Microsoft will no longer be charge per license. Instead Microsoft will charge per device to accommodate mobility sectors and the cloud. Windows 10 as a Service is a feature that is included in Windows 10 Enterprise. The purpose of WAaS is to simplify the process of upgrading and updating.
- Windows 10 Battery Saver will automatically activate when the percentage drops below 20%. Apps running in the background are blocked. Users can allow specific individual apps to run while in battery saver mode. Certain categories of apps continue to run. For example, VOIP apps are not blocked. While in Windows 7 there are some features that can be configured to manage the battery on the network itself.
- Windows 10, involves new character and device management choices, as well as continued investments in existing capabilities. For identity, Microsoft Active Directory provides key identity and security capabilities for organizations today. With Windows 10 we’ll also add the ability to leverage Azure Active Directory, devices can be connected to Azure AD, and users can login to Windows with Azure AD accounts or add their Azure ID to gain access to business apps and resources. Windows works better when using Active Directory and Azure Active Directory together. When connecting the two, users can automatically be signed-in to cloud-based services like Office 365, Microsoft Intune, and the Windows Store, even when logging in to their machine using Active Directory accounts. For users, this will mean no longer needing to remember additional user IDs or passwords.
- Microsoft introduced an embedded in-depth Mobile Device Management(MDM) in the operating system. Users can manage corporate and non-corporate devices with MDM.
- Microsoft’s personal digital assistant called “Cortana”, who helps busy people get things done, even while at work. Cortana has powerful configuration options, specifically optimized for your business. By signing in with an Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) account, your employees can give Cortana access to their enterprise/work identity, while getting all the functionality Cortana provides to them outside of work.
- In the new build Operating System, Microsoft added a new ‘black system theme’ for a number of core user interface elements, including the Start Menu and Taskbar. The company also revamped Windows 10’s tablet mode, officially called Continuum, to make it easier to select common buttons by making them, well, larger.
- Device Guardis a group of key features, designed to harden a computer system against malware. Its focus is preventing malicious code from running by ensuring only known good code can run. Device Guard blocks all apps that are not considered to be trusted, and allows only apps from the Windows Store, selected software vendors, and signed line-of-business applications to run. Organizations will be able to decide the sources from which applications are deemed trusted, and there will be tools included so that apps developed in-house can be easily signed, whether they are Universal Windows Store, desktop, or unsigned third-party applications.
Inspiring IT Computer Support Specialist