IT Computer Support is an exciting field of Information Technology which provides different opportunities to achieve excellence and grow in your career. There are many jobs in IT Computer Support and some of them come with the different titles: Help Desk Specialist, IT support technician, IT support specialist, Field Support Technician, Technical support specialist, Service Center Technician etc. Currently available job openings for IT Computer Support Specialists in Milwaukee Area.
Despite many different job titles there are a lot of similarities between different IT Support jobs. Typical Computer support specialists duties of a Support Specialist include :
- Diagnose and resolve unique, nonrecurring problems and issues associated with application software and operating systems;
- Determine the source of problems and classify their level, priority and nature.
- Use incident management system to document the issue by creating a ticket and capturing resolution
- Configure, deploy, maintain, troubleshoot and support mobile devices, tablets, phones, computer workstations, desktops, laptops, printers, mobile devices, phones and other computer and telecommunications equipment.
- Install and support Tablets, phones, PCs, laptop, tablet and mobile hardware and software (certifications from CompTIA, Microsoft or HDI are a plus).
- Work on the projects for software rollouts, infrastructure upgrades and application implementations
- Continuous improvement: create alternative methods of completing tasks, correcting user errors and system inconsistencies to improve the desktop team function.
- Participate in hardware and software reviews and recommend purchases.
- Maintain inventory of installed software, manage software licensing and create policies and procedures for upgrades.
- Work with hardware and software vendors to verify timely product delivery and ensure that new equipment is installed and ready to operate on schedule.
- Analyze and make recommendations for hardware and software standardization.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with diverse systems including associated validation systems, file servers, email servers, computer conferencing systems, application servers and administrative systems.
- Document procedures, standards, best practices configurations, settings, installation sequences and back-out instructions.
You can also progress and grow in your career as Support Center Analyst
In order to advance in your career you would also need soft skills, in addition to the technical skills. Unlike technical skills listed above soft skills are intangible skills and knowledge you would need to learn and master in order to grow in your career. Key soft skills to help you grow are listed below:
- Broad range knowledge of domain outside of your core responsibilities – Knowledge and understanding of the business model of the organization you work for, some systems and processes that are key to your organization’s success.
- Problem solving skills – Resolve problems while maximizing efficient use of computing resources.
- Teamwork skills – Work well in a team-oriented environment.
- Industry education and Certifications – Possess a computer science degree and one or two certifications from entities such as HDI or Microsoft (Microsoft Certified IT Professional or Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator).
- Mobility – Be willing to take on a new position at your current company or accept additional responsibilities when asked.
How to advance in your Information Technology career
It is a smart decision to start in IT Computer Support: most of the Information Technology entry level jobs are created in this field of IT. But you can grow and advance in the different directions.
- You can grow horizontally, specializing in some areas of IT Support and becoming a better IT Support Professional;
- You can move into different area of IT (IT System Administration, IT Development, IT Security etc);
- You can progress by learning more about the business and providing advise to business leaders on how to improve business inefficiencies by implementing new technology;
- You can advance in your career by learning how to manage others (i.e. becoming Team Lead, Supervisor, Manager etc);
There are a lot of different options on how you can grow in your IT Support Career. We cover below options with the students that join our program:
- More and deeper knowledge on the subject – Continually update and enhance your basic skills in hardware, software and systems through your own efforts and company training. Learn the specifics of your industry. For example, if you work for a large construction company, spend some time with the operations department so that you know exactly what a “concrete pour” entails. Your interest in and knowledge of the activities that make the company money will be noticed and rewarded.
- More effective problem solving – Be proactive in anticipating and resolving problems. Take ownership and initiative for problem resolution, spot potential problem areas, analyze solutions, propose resolution and ensure implementation. Take the term “customer service” to heart.
- Better and more effective teamwork – Embrace working in a team setting. Know your teammates, give them credit for their successes and offer help and assistance. Consider gaining extra knowledge for yourself, contributing fully to the teams you are part of and avoiding stagnation to become a great desktop support analyst.
- Stay current with technologies and industry trends – Get another degree or pertinent certifications. Attend company training that is offered and study for other certifications. Volunteer or consult for diverse roles to build your skills in other areas.
- Personal mobility and interest to work on new challenging initiatives – Seek out new assignments and additional job duties, especially those outside your normal work area. Take the initiative by moving around in your company or changing companies after at least a year of service. Try to move up in your organization by making your desire to be promoted known.
Salary information of IT Computer Support Specialists
Based on the 2015 EMSI Occupational report there is a projected 21.6% growth in IT Computer Support Specialist jobs in the region (Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington, and Waukesha Counties) between 2014-2024. Based on this estimate 674 additional jobs will be created between 2014-2024, projecting the total number of IT Computer Support Specialist jobs available in 2014 as 3791. Average Monthly postings for IT Computer Support Specialist (Jan 2014-Jan 2015) is 318 postings. Average monthly hires or IT Computer Support Specialist (Jan 2014-Jan 2015) is 149 jobs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of IT computer support specialists is projected to grow 17 percent from 2012 to 2022, faster than the average for all occupations.
Growth will be highest at firms that provide cloud-computing technology. Employment of support specialists in computer systems design and related firms is projected to grow 49 percent from 2012 to 2022. IT Computer Support field is expected to greatly increase its use of information technology, and support services will be crucial to keep everything running properly. You can also find out about starting salaries for desktop support analysts in our 2015 IT Computer Support Specialist Milwaukee Area Salary Report.
How to jump start your career in Information Technology field in Milwaukee Area
As part of MATC IT Support program we cover all of the above topics and prepare students to achieve excellece in their career. Students can start gradually and then progress in their IT Support education by starting with one semester Certificates, earning Technical Diplomas and graduating with Associate Degree. Below are different options available to the students on how to start education and jump start IT Careers, based on the educational credentials we can offer:
6 Month Certificates:
- MATC IT-Service Center-Technician Certificate (61-154-1) (Click here to download Program Card)
- MATC IT-Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Specialist Certificate (61-154-2) (Click here to download Program Card)
- MATCIT-Level-2 Service Center Technician Certificate (61-154-3) – (Click here to download program card)
1 Year Technical Diplomas:
- MATC IT-User Support Technician Diploma (30-154-6) (Click here to download Program Card)
- MATC IT-Computer Support Technician Diploma (31-154-6) (Click here to download Program Card)
- MATC IT-Help Desk Support Specialist Diploma (31-154-7) (Click here to download Program Card)
2 Year Associate Degree Program:
- MATC IT-Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree (10-154-3) (Click here to download Program Card )
You can view the entire MATC IT Computer Support Specialist Pathway here
What advice have you received from other articles or through your network about how to become a great desktop support analyst? Please share your feedback in the comments section.
Latest posts by Vadim Mikhailenko (see all)
- 2017-2018 Report –Best Information Technology Schools, Diplomas and Degree programs in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - January 31, 2018
- 2017-2018 Best Computer Schools and Information Technology Degree and Diploma programs in Milwaukee Area - December 28, 2017
- 2017-2018 MATC IT Computer Support Program Cards - November 15, 2017