Wireless networks are setup based on the administrator or end user’s goals, which includes: speed, range, and security. Deploying secure wireless networking is an ongoing practice. Employing encryption to protect wireless network is one of the best manner to protect your wireless network from attacks and interceptions. Encryption is the process of preventing unauthorize access by changing information or data into a code. Wireless network users have an option of choosing between three common forms of secure encryption. These options are: WEP, WPA. And WPA2. Details regarding these protocols can be accessed through Wireless Encryption Basics. Passwords are simply one level of security. Encryption and selecting the right wireless broadband router are also essential when setting up your wireless network. Another facet of setup of routers that should be considered is location. Placement of the wireless router near a window means that your wireless signal range reach too far outside the house where it can be easily interception by cybercriminals. Place your router in the middle of you house so all rooms have the same internet access. When you leave on vacation, make sure to disable your wireless network, prevent an opportunity for malicious hackers to attempt to gain unauthorized access to your network.
Here are great points about securing your wireless network:
- New technology on routers has wi-fi protected setup which has a WPS button to lock the device during setup.
- As with any software, check the manufacturer’s website for updates to your firmware.
- Disable SSID in your wireless setting which will prevent your device showing up is a list of nearby network.
- Each device on the network should have its own IP address.
- At the command prompt (C:/Windows\system32\cmd.exe) create a list of media access control (MAC) addresses for your devices (this is commonly referred to as “MAC filtering”).
- Do not connect automatically when network is in range. Auto-connecting to hotspots subject you to security risks.
- When using administrative privileges, use a LAN connection.
Remember, your security posture should always be properly enabled to protect and reduce the risk of your data being hacked!
Latest posts by Evette (see all)
- 7 Gmail Productivity Apps and Plugins - October 11, 2017
- Most Important Tools Required for Smartphone or Tablet Repair - October 11, 2017
- Most important features of Samsung Galaxy Note 8 … - October 11, 2017