The IT Computer Support Specialist program prepares you for a career in end user support, to help businesses administer, troubleshoot and deploy Windows and OSX computers and servers, IOS, Android and Windows Mobile smartphones and tablets. Through hands-on activities and labs, you will learn how to set up and configure laptops, desktop, server and mobile operating systems and work with emerging technologies such as machine virtualization and wireless networking.
You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Deskside Support Technician (HDI-DST), ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
Keys to your success are keeping up with the latest technologies, having strong problem-solving skills and having the ability to work alone and with others in training and troubleshooting capacities.
If you are working as IT Support specialist, you will be working with clients on a regular basis. You will be speaking with and interacting with clients daily via telephone and in person, therefore you must have relatively strong social skills. You will also need to interact with co-workers (e.g. other Information Technology support staff, your supervisor) regularly.
This program prepares you for industry-sought certifications including CompTIA’s A+, Network+, Security+, and Mobility+ Device Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), Microsoft Certified Professional in Windows Desktop, Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCITP), Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP), HDI-SCA, HDI-DST, and ITIL Foundation.
You can complete the program within 2 years if you study full time.
Typical IT Support Specialist Job Duties and responsibilities
- Support computer users by answering technical questions via phone, email, video-conference, or remote desktop access.
- Create a log, record, or ‘ticket’ according to the employer’s tracking and filing system.
- Provide step-by-step instruction via phone to computer users to help them install software programs, hardware, or resolve computer problems or malfunctions.
- Manually set up computer systems, hardware, and software programs for computer users in person.
- Troubleshoot legacy systems and new equipment available on the enterprise (smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, Mac equipment, PC Laptops etc)
- Work with colleagues (e.g., other computer support specialists) to resolve computer-related problems (troubleshooting).
- Read and review technical support manuals or other materials that can aid in providing assistance to computer users.
- Your employer may ask you to carry out additional duties than those listed here.
Program Learning Outcomes — Employers will expect graduates to
- Demonstrate Customer Service Skills
- Apply Analytical and problem solving skills to resolve end user issue
- Show troubleshooting techniques to resolve issues with modern hardware and software
- Identify, analyze, create and maintain computer information systems
- Evaluate software applications of business functions
- Operate PC Laptops, Macs, Smartphones and tablets
- Install, Configure and administer computer and tablet equipment and accessories
- Provide training and support for users of computer information systems
IT Computer Support Program prepares students for the following Industry Certifications:
- COMPTIA A+ Certification
- COMPTIA Mobility + Certification
- Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
- HDI-SCA (Help Desk Institute Support Center Analyst Certification)
- HDI-DST (Help Desk Institute Deskside Support Technician Certification)
- ITIL Foundation (ITIL Foundation Certification)
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Certification (MCSA Microsoft Certification Exam 70-685)
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows 7 Certification (MCTS Exam 70-680: Windows 7 Configuration)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification (Latest version of Microsoft Office)
- COMPTIA Security+ Certification (COMPTIA Security Plus)
- COMPTIA Network+ Certification (COMPTIA Net+)
Following IT Computer Support Courses are offered as part of the program:
- COMPSW-106 Introduction to Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Power Point (Microsoft Office Specialist – MOS)
- ITSUP-101 Computer Information Systems Fundamentals
- ITSUP-102 COMPTIA A+ Essentials
- ITNET-101 Network Communications Network+ (Net+ Plus)
- ITSEC-124 COMPTIA Network Security+ (Sec+)
- ITSUP-140 Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA, HDI-DST, ITIL Foundation)
- ITSUP-108 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCSA Microsoft Certification Exam 70-685)
- ITSUP-150 Mobile Device Repair
- ITSUP-152 Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
- IT-107 Social Networking and Communication
- ITSUP-153 Mobility Plus Admin (IOS, Android, Windows Mobile)
- ITSUP-176 IT Project Management
- ITNET-110 Windows 7 Administration (MCTS Exam 70-680)
- ITSUP-198 Computer Support Internship
- ITSUP-199 Computer Support Specialist Final Project
Program Admission requirements
- A high school diploma or GED
- One year of high school-level algebra
- Demonstration of proficiency in basic skills through a course placement assessment
If you are interested in a baccalaureate degree upon completion of the program, check with a program counselor or advisor, and the institution you plan to attend regarding the transfer of MATC credits.
IT Support employment opportunities are expected to grow in Milwaukee area and Wisconsin. Typical positions available to graduates of the program include:
- Help Desk Technician
- Junior Support Specialist
- Microsoft System Administrator
- Microsoft Desktop Specialist
- Apple Support Specialist
- Mobile Device Support Specialist
- Computer Applications Technician
- Computer Sales Representative
- Network Technician
- IT Field Technician
- PC Specialist
- Mac OSX Technician
IT Computer Support Students have options to start with Pathway Certificates that lead to Associate Degree
- IT Service Center Technician Pathway Certificate
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Specialist Pathway Certificate
- Level 2 Service Center Technician Pathway Certificate
- Advanced User Support Specialist Technical Diploma
- IT Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree Program
- Review MATC IT Computer Support Specialist Pathways to learn more about courses that are part of the certificates and Associate Degree Program.
Locations for IT Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree Program
MATC has campuses in Milwaukee, West Allis, Oak Creek and Mequon. MATC is proudly servicing Metropolitan Milwaukee area: Waukesha, Glendale, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, St. Francis, Cudahy, Greenfield, Menomonee Falls, Elm Grove, Brookfield, Thiensville, Cedarburg, Grafton, Port Washington, New Berlin, Wauwatosa, Brown Deer and Bayside
Below is the list of courses for the program recommended for semesters 1-4: