In this blog entry, I will discuss the formalities and preparations needed to complete for IT computer support job position.
The information I have provided below highlights pertinent data needed to complete a job application for an IT Computer Support position:
- Communication skills – Grammar, spelling, punctuation, active listening, friendliness, open-mindedness, feedback, confidence, non-verbal, verbal, and written dialog–An IT support specialist should aim for excellence in all these areas.
- Typing Skills – A candidate for an IT support job will undergo a computerized typing assessment test in relations to how many words they type per minute including the number of errors made. The average typing skills expected is 40 words per minute with less than 5 errors. It is required that IT support specialist be able to type at least 60 words per minute with less than 5 or no errors.
- Support Help Desk – Expertise in the area of IT computer support technology is needed. As stated earlier, good communication and soft skills are also needed to be able to work with a diverse workforce. Good communication skills require the ability to work with people who maybe experiencing stress and difficulty regarding challenging IT computer issues. The IT support specialist needs to be able to effectively help all end-users in all situations, in a timely and professional manner.
- Creativity – IT technical support candidates needs to have new innovative cutting-edge ideas in-which they can help to elevate the company by saving time and money.
- Troubleshooting -As a potential candidate for an IT specialist position, it will be required for you to perform simple troubleshooting tasks with a brief explanation of the procedure using your critical thinking and IT skills to resolve complexed computer issues.
- Analytical Skills – Excellent analytical skills consist of being able to organize thought patterns in a schematically way. Thinking in a logical format is needed to assess new and current data and to be able to use it to think “out of the box” in developing new solutions and resolutions to existing problems. Analytical skills also involved the ability to work with numbers and math operations.
As a new or unexperienced person to the workforce, a good recommendation is for you to practice filling out applications. Read through the application form thoroughly to articulate the information. This is a good way to familiarize yourself with the application and develop confidence in your knowledge and the process of providing concise detailed information on the application. Recruiters and managers often state candidates should practice filling out “dummy” job applications. Honesty and professionalism are very important in all aspects of completing the application. Therefore, make sure that all information listed on the application is true. False information can be considered as a criminal offense and could lead to a job applicant not getting an interview or getting the job, or even –worst may be getting arrested.
An example of the information that you will be required to enter on the application is as follows:
- Name – First and last
- Contact information – Home address and phone number, email address, and any other personal information (misdemeanor or felony convictions if applicable).
- Date Available – What will be an appropriate starting date for you?
- Position Desired
- Verification of right to work in the U.S.
- Education Status – When inserting this information be mindful to provide the name, state and city of the school or institution/college attended. If required, make mention of degrees, diploma or trade
- Work History/Past Employment Information – The most recent company should be the first to start off with. Include the names, addresses, and numbers of managers/supervisors also dates employed, job title, and reasons for leaving.
- References – Listing good references are beneficial in helping an applicant to earn trust when beginning a new career. Never use relatives or other members of your family.
- Always print legible. use a black pen if filling out applications.