MATC’s IT Service Center Technician certificate is a starting point for students interested in a career in IT computer support. This 10-credit certificate provides solid preparation for the COMPTIA A+ Certification, HDI-SCA (Help Desk Institute Support Center Analyst Certification), HDI-DST (Help Desk Institute Deskside Support Technician Certification), ITIL Foundation (ITIL Foundation Certification) industry-standard certification, including the skills essential for a successful entry-level position of computer service center technician.
Start your information technology career through this certificate program that can be completed in one semester (15 weeks). An accelerated summer session (eight weeks) offers two classes.
When you complete the IT Service Center Technician program you will gain important skills and prepare for key industry certification exams, including:
- COMPTIA A+ Certification
- HDI-SCA (Help Desk Institute Support Center Analyst Certification)
- HDI-DST (Help Desk Institute Deskside Support Technician Certification)
- ITIL Foundation (ITIL Foundation Certification)
‘Pathway’ Certificates Lead to Greater Career Possibilities. This entry-level IT Service Center Technician is the first of four certificate programs that are pathways to increasingly more specialized and valuable IT training and credentials. Students can earn 39 credits through the four certificates, and all credits will transfer into the 66-credit IT Computer Support Specialist associate degree program.
IT Service Center Technician Pathway Certificate Courses and skills students will attain
ITSUP-101 Computer Information Systems Fundamentals
- Identify computer information systems and their role in business
- Introduction and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point)
- Knowledge of mobile computing devices and platforms (IOS and Android)
- Computers and Digital Basics
- Computer Hardware and Computer Software
- Operating Systems and File Management
- LANs and WLANs
- The Internet
- The Web and E-Mail
- Digital Media
- The Computer Industry: History, Careers and Ethics
- Information Systems Analysis and Design
- Basics of Databases and Computer Programming
ITSUP-140 Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA, HDI-DST, ITIL)
- Process of incident management, from detection and recording to closure
- Critical thinking skills to resolve incidents quickly and consistently
- Leadership at support center. Total contact ownership
- Knowledge of core help desk processes and best practices used in service and support centers
- Active listening skills and effective communication skills
- Proven techniques and best practices for improving customer interactions
- Interpersonal and business communication skills using a variety of technology platforms including email, live chat, phone support and desk side support
- Oral and Written communication skills used in the business environment
- Understanding of the ITIL framework and its use in an organization
- Tasks prioritization and self-management
- How to effectively work individually and in the team environment
- Utilize IT Service Management tools to record, route, resolve and log incidents
- Collaboration with internal and external customers
- Effective Support Center strategies for managing difficult customers
ITSUP-102 CompTIA A+ Essentials and IT Technician
- Motherboard, BIOS, Videocard and other PC components configuration
- Installation and configuration of expansion cards
- Printer configuration and maintenance
- Working knowledge of features and requirements of various Microsoft Operating Systems (Windows 7, Windows 8 etc)
- Install and Configuration of operating system using the most appropriate method
- Build, troubleshoot and repair common desktop PC systems
- Install, configure and troubleshoot Microsoft Desktop OS
- Setup and configure Network services and OS Security
- Identify hardware and software issues and effectively troubleshoot them in business environment
- Setup and configure Windows networking on a client/desktop
- Perform preventive maintenance procedures on Windows PC
- Working knowledge of basic Windows OS security settings
Click here to Register for IT Computer Support Training at MATC
Courses can be completed in one semester (15 weeks) in Fall and Spring Semesters or eight-week summer session.
Potential jobs that use the vendor-neutral CompTIA A+ are IT and technical support specialists and field service technicians. Download MATC IT Service Center Technician Certificate Promotional Flyer and MATC IT Service Center Technician Program Card.
MATC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution and complies with all requirements of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
*Credits transferable to Associate in Applied Science degree
INTERFACE is an equal opportunity employer/program which provides auxiliary aids and services upon request to individuals with disabilities by calling Carriel E. Danz, Grant Coordinator, Milwaukee Area Technical College, 414-297-6575 for additional information.
This workforce product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the grantee and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The U.S. Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurance of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability or ownership.