In computing technology, the term “wired” is used to differentiate between wireless connections and those that involve cable. A wired setup uses physical cables to transfer data between connected PCs. In a small wired network, a single router may be used to connect all the computers. Larger networks often involve multiple routers or switches that connect to each other. On of these devices typically connects to a cable modem such as T1 line or other type of Internet connection that provides Internet access to all devices connected to the network. Nowadays, most of big enterprises choose wire connection over the wireless. There are many reasons why these corporations decide to implement a wire internet. Below we will be studying some of the main advantages of the wire connection.
- Cost: Since companies are always trying to save money and generate more revenue, cost is one of the main reasons wire connection is an option. Cables, switches are not expensive. Wire connection is cheaper than the wireless. In another hand, Ethernet consume less power . Using Ethernet improve laptops battery life.
- Reliability: Wire connection is known to be very reliable. Therefore, reliability is one of the reason why some companies choose to implement the wire Internet. Ethernet, cables, switches are reliable because manufacturers have improved their technology over several decades.
- Speed and Bandwidth is very high with the wire connection. We are talking about up to 100 Mbps. Nowadays most IT professionals choose fiber optic cables for less attenuation and electromagnetic interference (EMI)
- Security: Wire connection is very handy if you have sensitive data that you want to secure using some software like free wall software is a smart option.
- Ease of Use: Wire connection is also known to be very easy to ease. The details depend on the computers and devices on your network but generally speaking plugging an Ethernet cable into a laptop or printer is enough to get connected. There is obviously no need to scan for available networks or trying to locate a spot with a strong signal.
- Distance: Compare to wireless the wire connection can cover a wider range of distance. The fastest 802.11 n Wi-Fi speed currently in widespread use can achieve a maximum range of 250 feet in the most ideal conditions.
- Easy to expand: Wire connection is easy to expand by just using network switch. This is a device that joins multiple computers in your network and so those connected computers can communicate with each other as you can see in the screenshot below.