Information Technology is a exciting industry for people looking to launch their careers or take a new career path. Our goal at IT Computer Support Program at MATC is to make sure that IT careers are not limited to those who have the money to take training classes so they can achieve industry certifications. No longer are there obstacles to learning—fundamental IT learning shouldn’t be high-priced. As part of the program we offer CompTIA A+ training class and we help students to get discounted vouchers for COMPTIA A+ Certification exam.
Beginning a Career in IT Starts Here
CompTIA A+ Essentials is one of the best classes to start with if you are looking to begin a career in IT. A+ provides a fundamental knowledge that is necessary to move up or advance in the field. This is the perfect opportunity to figure out whether or not you’re interested in getting further trained in the industry. The fundamentals taught in this class will prepare you with what you need to know to make an informed decision on which direction you would like to go, in IT, next. In other words, you’ll know enough after this class to know what a career in Computer Support, Systems Administration is and how it is different from Network Administration, and how and why those are different from a career in Cyber Security or Development. Plus, if you have been considering entering the field, but you aren’t sure if it is right for you, this class will definitely help you to figure that out.
CompTIA A+ Essentials Certification Training Class
Our online A+ training class educates on the maintenance of operating systems, PCs, mobile devices, laptops and printers—crucial skills that every IT professional needs in order to work within the industry. Even if you aren’t interested in working in IT, the skills taught in our training course can help you save a lot of money in electronic device repairs…a definite plus! Specifically, the course covers the fundamentals of computer technology, basic networking, installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, as well as configuring common features for mobile operation systems Android and Apple iOS. As part of the INTERFACE grant we have recently acquired latest mobile devices and incorporated them into the curriculum for ITSUP-102 course.
How CompTIA A+ Certification is helpful to find employment in Milwaukee Area?
To start, it is a highly credible certification that carries a great deal of trust globally. Organizations such as the U.S. Department of Defense, Dell, Intel and Lenovo recognize this entry-level certification as validation that an employee is competent to fulfill the roles of a support tech, service technician and support specialist. Additionally, those who possess this certification are more likely to receive higher salaries (for example, on average, certified professionals make five to 15% more than their non-certified counterparts in the USA).
Career Value of the A+ Certification
The CompTIA A+ certification is typically recognized as a certification for those looking to get their foot in the door of IT. Jobs consistent with this certification are typically call center, help desk and computer repair type jobs. In a large organization or enterprise, the A+ certification would have one answering and responding to general computer help tickets, doing basic computer maintenance, or performing basic account unlock functions. This is typically the “starting point” for most careers in general IT and allows you to get a better idea on what you may want to specialize in. Certain jobs may require additional training or certifications, particularly for vendor specific hardware or applications (i.e. Dell Hardware, Microsoft Office Specialist, etc.). Jobs in smaller companies may have you stretching your limits and actually performing basic systems administrator type functions. Generally, in larger environments you will be more specialized and restricted in what you can do before you “escalate” the issue. In a smaller environment you will be responsible for more types of equipment; however, the total amount of equipment will be less.
Jobs that use the CompTIA A+ certification
- IT support technician
- IT support specialist
- Field support technician
- Technical support specialist
COMPTIA Certification and Training in Milwaukee Area
As part of the IT Computer Support Specialist program we prepare students for COMPTIA certifications exams: you can attend A+, Network+ or Security+ training class in one of MATC Milwaukee campuses (Downtown, Oak Creek or West Allis). Our classrooms are equipped with the state of the art necessary tools to let you get the most out of your COMPTIA A+, Network+ or Security+ training.
CompTIA A+, Network+ or Security+ are vendor-neutral certifications from CompTIA certification is appropriate for entry-level computer technicians and is especially helpful to get first job in Information Technology. Comptia Certified technicians have a broad base of knowledge and competency in core hardware and operating system technologies in areas such as installation, preventative maintenance, networking, security and troubleshooting:
- CompTIA A+ Plus 220-901 Certification Exam covers the fundamentals of computer information systems and the installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, as well as some basic networking. Passing 220-901 CompTIA A+ Exam allows you to earn certificate to jump-start your career in the Information Technology (IT) industry, which typically leads to higher earnings and opens up opportunities for a more fulfilling career.
- CompTIA A+ Plus 220-902 Certification Exam covers the skills required to install and configure PC operating systems, as well as configuring common features (e.g. network connectivity and email) for mobile operating systems Android and Apple iOS. Passing 220-902 CompTIA A+ Certification exam focuses on software aspects of troubleshooting and lets students earn certificate to jump-start your career in the Information Technology (IT) industry. The certificate covers the essentials of PC, laptop, mobile device, printer and operating system maintenance and can lead to higher salaries and opens up opportunities for a more fulfilling career.
- COMPTIA Network Plus Certification Exam helps test if candidate has the knowledge and skills required to troubleshoot, configure, and manage common network devices; establish basic network connectivity; understand and maintain network documentation; identify network limitations and weaknesses; and implement network security, standards, and protocols. Exam also helps validate that candidate will have a basic understanding of enterprise technologies, including cloud and virtualization technologies.
- COMPTIA Security Plus Certification Exam helps validate foundation-level security skills and knowledge Identify risk in the following areas: identification of risks, providing infrastructure, application, information and operational security, applying security controls to maintain confidentiality, integrity and availability, identifying appropriate technologies and products and troubleshooting security events and incidents
IT Computer Support Specialist students are eligible to get COMPTIA A+, COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+ Exam Vouchers at discounted price. This helps students save money, if they decide to get COMPTIA certification.
Other IT Industry Certifications offered at MATC
As part of IT Support Specialist Program we prepare students for various industry certifications. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
Why study at Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC)
- MATC offers cost effective education allowing students to prepare for this career in two years or less, if you study full time.
- Based on your financial situation you might be eligible for Financial Aid.
- IT Support curriculum is continually being evaluated and updated to reflect the latest technologies. Students attain the skills necessary to not only acquire a job in the IT support industry but also succeed in their new working environment. We have recently introduced new courses have been introduced to to help students learn smartphone and tablet technologies (IOS, Android and Windows Mobile), which are being adopted by local area businesses, Apple OSX and Microsoft Windows Enterprise Support
- Our instructors have experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty here.
- Most MATC IT Support courses lead to industry certification, adding more job possibilities and helping students to differentiate them self as part of hiring process. You will be ready to take industry certification exams including CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+.
- MATC’s IT Support Pathway allows students to start with Pathway Certificates and work toward Technical Diploma and Associate Degree Program. These offerings are designed for people with no IT experience as well as those currently working in the technical field to quickly get educational credentials from recognized school and help accelerate your career. Online and face-to-face courses are available, providing students with greater flexibility in completing the program.
What do IT Support Professionals Do?
IT support specialist assists users who are having problems with software, computers, servers, network or mobile devices. Some support professionals assist companies' customers, while others provide in-house support to an organizations' information technology (IT) staff. IT support specialists are also known as technical support specialists. Those who provide help over the phone, via online chat or email, are called help desk technicians.
In addition to their technical skills, a IT support specialist must have certain soft skills, or personal qualities, to succeed in this field. Strong active listening skills are a must. Without them it is very hard to understand peoples' needs. Good speaking skills allow a computer support specialist to convey information to those he or she is trying to help. They also need good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
As part of the day to day work IT Support professionals require following skills and experiences:
- Install, configure and support desktop and server operating systems
- Configure and deploy Windows and OSX laptops and servers
- Administer and support IOS, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets
- Support, monitor and troubleshoot computers and computer networks
- Secure network devices to protect company assets
- Utilize soft skills and Customer Service Skills to help end user troubleshoot issues
- Apply Analytical and problem solving skills to resolve end user issues
Why Choose Career of IT Support Professional
IT Computer Support Specialist program prepares students for a career in end user support. Some of the work that graduates do are to help businesses administer, troubleshoot and deploy Windows Computers and Servers, OSX desktops and laptops, IOS and Android Mobile smartphones and tablets. Through hands-on activities and labs, you will learn how to set up and configure laptops, desktop, server and mobile operating systems and work with technologies such as machine virtualization and wireless networking. Keys to your success are keeping up with the latest technologies, having strong problem-solving skills and having the ability to work alone and with others in training and troubleshooting capacities.
How much IT Computer Support Specialist make in salaries and wages
Based on the EMSI Occupational Overview report median earnings for IT Computer Support Specialists is $22.56/hr (Download 2015 the copy of IT Computer Support EMSI Occupation Job Growth Salary and Wages Report for Milwaukee Ozaukee Washington Waukesha Counties )
According to the U.S. Department of Labor:
- national median annual pay for IT computer support specialist is $48,900 ($23.51 per hour)
- average annual wage for IT computer support specialist in Wisconsin is $41,000
Is Computer Support Specialist career for me?
- Do you enjoy solving problems and helping others?
- Do you enjoy consistently learning new technologies?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Are you communicating well with others?
- Do you like working with iPads, Android devices, Laptops, Computers, Macs, Smartphones and Tablets?
If you answered yes to these questions, then the challenging world of IT Support Professional may be for you! Learn more about What do IT IT Computer Support Specialist do on the job
Counseling and Advising Center Locations:
Counselors and advisers are available on all MATC campuses to help students select the best courses for the degree program:
- Milwaukee Campus 414-297-6267, Room S203
- Oak Creek Campus 414-571-4500, Room A106
- West Allis Campus 414-456-5510, Room 120
- Mequon Campus 262-238-2200, Room A110
The center hours are Monday-Thursday, 7:45am-6pm and on Fridays 7:45am-4pm.
How quickly can I Graduate? And get hired for a job in IT?
Below is the list of IT Computer Support education credentials. Students can start by getting a Certificate in one semester, progress and get Technical Diploma in less then one year and graduate Associate Degree in 2 years. Students can start searching jobs after getting a Certificate or a Technical Diploma or choose to continue their education and get Associate Degree. The flexibility is in graduating students faster with Certificates or Technical Diplomas to helping them get employed faster:
- IT-Service Center-Technician Certificate (61-154-1) (Click here to download Program Card) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- IT-Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Specialist Certificate (61-154-2) (Click here to download Program Card) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- IT-Level-2 Service Center Technician Certificate (61-154-3) – (Click here to download program card) – can be completed in 1 semester (4 months)
- IT-User Support Technician Diploma (30-154-6) (Click here to download Program Card) – can be completed in 2 semesters (8 months)
- IT-Computer Support Technician Diploma (31-154-6) (Click here to download Program Card) – can be completed in 2 semesters (8 months)
- IT-Help Desk Support Specialist Diploma (31-154-7) (Click here to download Program Card) – can be completed in 2 semesters (8 months)
- IT-Computer Support Specialist Associate Degree (10-154-3) (Click here to download Program Card ) – can be completed in 4 semesters (24 months)
Tuition Cost for IT Computer Support Specialist program
|Associate Degree and Diploma||3 credits||6 credits||12 credits||15 credits|
|Four-Year College Transfer||3 credits||6 credits||12 credits||15 credits|
*Estimated Cost per Semester for 2019. Cost of books is in addition to tuition. Click here for more information about MATC Tuition and fees
Advancement opportunities for graduates of IT Support program
After spending time helping customers or internal corporate users, some IT support specialists are promoted into positions where they help improve the design and efficiency of future products. Some people who begin in this position later become software developers and network and computer systems administrators. As their careers advance, they choose different options available, based on their education and skills they have acquired. Based on the information available on LinkedIn IT Computer Support Specialist students work in Operations, Support, Sales, Healthcare Services, Engineering, Finance, Consulting, Program and Project Management , Information Technology and other organizational units.
We stay in touch with our graduates and collect their advancements and success stories. MATC IT Computer Support Program alumni work in IT Departments of various Milwaukee area employers: Aurora Heath Care, FIS, Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, Kohl's Department Stores, Northwestern Mutual, Milwaukee Public schools, Johnson Controls, Froedtert Hospital, Columbia St. Mary's Hospital, Rockwell Automation, City of Milwaukee, CompuCom, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, GE Healthcare, Quad/Graphics, MATC, Medical College of Wisconsin, Harley Davidson Motor Company, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, U.S. Bank, Fiserv, TEKSystems, AT&T, BMO Harris Bank, Time Warner Cable, We Energies and other local Milwaukee based companies.
IT Computer Support Specialists can advance on the job into different areas of IT. Below chart shows career growth possibilities for the graduates:
Our team of trusted advisers – IT Computer Support Advisory Committee
Every 6 month we meet with IT Professionals from Milwaukee Area to alight IT Computer Support Program curriculum and course offerings based on IT industry trends in Southeast Wisconsin. They hold key management and leadership position in Milwaukee are companies and bring to their work a variety of perspectives and strengths gained through their education, careers, personal experience and their volunteer service in the community. Our team of trusted advisers cares deeply about success of Milwaukee community, our student's success and making MATC IT Support program the best educational offering in Milwaukee area. Some of the members of our Advisory Committee are graduates of MATC.
MATC IT Support Advisory Committee Members (from left to right): Zachary Kosh (VCPI Software Company), Mario Cortez (VCPI Software Company), Joe Kmoch (Milwaukee Public Schools), Diane Stasiewicz (Dart Chart Systems), Linda Miller (Johnson Controls), Jennifer Anderson (Manpower), Lester Best (Kohls Department Stores), Jason Wischer (Thomson Reuters)
MATC IT Computer Support Specialist Program Courses
ITSUP-101 Computer Information System Fundamentals
Students will learn the concepts and terms to enable them to better understand the role of Information technology, careers for computer professionals, basics in computer hardware, software and networking as well as the internet in business and society. A brief overview of history of information technology, as well as strategic future direction is discussed. Topic include technology trends, that affect computing and everyday life, such as concerns for data security, personal privacy online safety, controversy over digital rights management, open source software and smartphone and tablet devices and more. In addition, coverage of latest release of Microsoft Windows and Office will be introduce you to exciting new features of next generation consumer and enterprise software. The course is a combination of lecture discussion and hands-on lab assignments.
ITSUP-109 Microsoft Office for IT Professionals
This course prepares students to effectively utilize Microsoft Office in IT Organization. Students will learn features of latest version of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, OneNote and PowerPoint through hands on labs, comprehensive projects and business scenarios.This course prepares students to effectively utilize Microsoft Office in IT Organization. Students will learn features of latest version of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, OneNote and PowerPoint through hands on labs, comprehensive projects and business scenarios.
ITSUP-102 CompTIA A+ Essentials
This course prepares students for the CompTIA A+ Certification exam. Students will work on hands-on labs that build and configure computers; replace parts; install and configure operating systems, and troubleshoot hardware, software, networking, and security problems. Additional topics and hands-on activities include multithreading, UEFI, disk and memory management, virtualization, mobile devices, laptops, OS software updates and optimization, managing device drivers and virus protection.This course prepares students for the CompTIA A+ Certification exam. Students will work on hands-on labs that build and configure computers; replace parts; install and configure operating systems, and troubleshoot hardware, software, networking, and security problems. Additional topics and hands-on activities include multithreading, UEFI, disk and memory management, virtualization, mobile devices, laptops, OS software updates and optimization, managing device drivers and virus protection.
ITSUP-108 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
This course prepares students for Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCITP 70-65) certification. Students learn how to identify the cause and resolve Windows desktop application issues, resolve networking and security issues, identify and resolve performance issues, solve hardware failures, solve enterprise wireless connectivity issues, solve enterprise remote access issues, troubleshoot VPN access and provide IPv6 support, identify and solve enterprise security issues, solve enterprise storage issues and resolve enterprise software update issues.
ITSEC-124 Network Security (CompTIA Security+)
The CompTIA Security+ course will prepare students with knowledge and skills required to install and configure systems to secure applications, networks, and devices; perform threat analysis and respond with appropriate mitigation techniques; participate in risk mitigation activities; and operate with an awareness of applicable policies, laws, and regulations.
ITSUP-140 Support Center Analyst (HDI SCA, HDI DST, ITIL)
This course prepares students for HDI-SCA (Help Desk Institute Support Center Analyst), HDI-DST (Desktop Support Technician) and ITIL Foundation Certifications, by teaching how to provide front-line support for customers. The course focuses on strategies for effective customer service with an emphasis on problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, call-handling procedures, incident management, and call tracking applications. Topics such as active listening skills and effective communication strategies will be covered, as well as strategies for improving customer interactions.
ITSUP-150 Mobile Device Repair and Maintenance
This course provides students with expert mobile device repair knowledge and advanced repair skills. It incorporates both classroom education and hands-on real world repair scenarios where students will gain immediate knowledge to service and repair smartphones, cellular phones and hand-held devices. Students learn how to disassemble and repair IOS, Android and Windows Mobile devices. Students also learn how to troubleshoot phone issues, resolve network communication issues on the device, replace batteries, LCD, broken lens, cameras and touch screens. Course also teaches students the concepts of data transfer and recovery, jailbreaking and cell phone locking and unlocking.
ITSUP-152 Apple OSX Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
This hands-on course provides an in-depth exploration of troubleshooting of the Apple OS X Operating systems and prepares students for Apple OSC Certified Support Professional (ACSP) Certification. This course will teach students the best methods for effectively supporting users of the Apple OS X Operating system. Course covers labs on installation, setup and configuration, OS X Recovery, software updates, file system, FileVault, permissions and sharing, data management, application and processes, network configuration, network services, peripherals, printing and system startup. The course is a combination of lecture and hands-on case study exercises that provides practical real-world experience
ITSUP-155 IT Career Skills
This course prepares students for careers in Information Technology. Students learn about variety of positions available in IT Computer Support, different career paths in IT, how to prepare quality resume, search for the job and apply for a position, go through the interview process, complete background check and secure the employment. Students participate in mock interviews and learn how to use social media to increase their chances to get hired.This course prepares students for careers in Information Technology. Students learn about variety of positions available in IT Computer Support, different career paths in IT, how to prepare quality resume, search for the job and apply for a position, go through the interview process, complete background check and secure the employment. Students participate in mock interviews and learn how to use social media to increase their chances to get hired.
ITSUP-153 COMPTIA Mobility+ (IOS, Android, Windows)
This hands-on course prepares students for the Comp TIA Mobility+ Certification Exam. Students will gain knowledge and hands-on skills required to understand and research capabilities of mobile devices and features of over-the-air technology. Students will learn device administration for 3 major mobile platforms: IOS, Android and Windows Mobile. They will also learn how deploy, integrate, support and manage a mobile environment ensuring proper security measures are implemented for devices and platforms while maintaining usability. Students will learn various encryption methods used for securing mobile devices, authentication best practices, disk and folder encryption and other security concepts to help secure and protect data on mobile devices. This course is the combination of lectures and hands-on exercises with iPad, Google Nexus and Microsoft Surface Pro devices
ITSUP-177 Intro to IT Projects
This course prepares students for teamwork and working on IT Projects. Students learn about a variety of project concepts, learn about how to work with colleagues, team members and stakeholders. Concept of self-management will be introduced to help students organize their work and improve their soft skills. Students will learn the concept of “return on investment” and “value delivery” for the organization. Students participate in group exercises, create and execute project plans and work together on team activities. This course prepares students for teamwork and working on IT Projects. Students learn about a variety of project concepts, learn about how to work with colleagues, team members and stakeholders. Concept of self-management will be introduced to help students organize their work and improve their soft skills. Students will learn the concept of “return on investment” and “value delivery” for the organization. Students participate in group exercises, create and execute project plans and work together on team activities.
ITSUP-197 Business Data Analysis
Through labs and hands on exercises students will learn about business data analysis and reporting, inspect, clean, transform and model the data with the goal of discovering useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting organizational decision-making.
ITSUP-198 Computer Support Internship
This internship course directs students to obtain an IT internship at local area employers based on the jobs available, students will perform required IT Computer Specialist Support activities configure and install new software, troubleshoot and solve issues with hardware, OS and applications, networks and virtual setups and configurations.This internship course directs students to obtain an IT internship at local area employers based on the jobs available, students will perform required IT Computer Specialist Support activities configure and install new software, troubleshoot and solve issues with hardware, OS and applications, networks and virtual setups and configurations.
ITSUP-199 Computer Support Final Project
The Integrated project course is a capstone project that reflects student's culminating experience in IT Computer Support Specialist program. In this course, students integrate their knowledge and skills in IT by working on the final project, demonstrating core ability skills and displaying overall comprehension of the discipline.The Integrated project course is a capstone project that reflects student's culminating experience in IT Computer Support Specialist program. In this course, students integrate their knowledge and skills in IT by working on the final project, demonstrating core ability skills and displaying overall comprehension of the discipline.
Meet IT Computer Support Specialist faculty
Our instructors have many years of experience working in the industry and are very passionate about student learning. Most of IT Support instructors are currently being employed and work in IT divisions of private companies, bringing the latest knowledge and techniques from the enterprise directly into the classroom. Learn more about MATC IT Support Faculty.
Why Milwaukee Employers hire IT Computer Support Graduates
- IT Support Graduates are very skilled with the latest IT technologies. They get hands on experiences as part of the labs and exercises, using actual technologies,devices and software used by local businesses
- Computer Support Program graduates demonstrate continuous learning skills. IT Support curriculum is continually being enhanced to prepare student for new industry trends and power graduates with skills needed by modern Milwaukee enterprises.
- Graduates come to the workplace fully prepared to contribute and deliver value day one. They have skills to support Microsoft Windows systems, Apples OSX devices, Mobile technologies(iPad, Android and Surface) and more.
- Students are knowledgeable on the core core support technologies, processes and procedures: they use Incident Management systems, remote support systems, effective troubleshooting skills and more as part of their labs.
- IT Support graduates learn solid business and soft skills to help them be more effective and provide value to organizations right away. Students attain practical knowledge and skills to help them communicate more effectively, manage stress, be more efficient and productive at work and succeed in the business environment, resulting in more productive workforce for employers
- IT Computer Support Graduates are passionate about technology and success of your business and provide New Perspective and help lead technology upgrades and system integrations on Enterprises.
- Graduates have versatile skills and can work solving different business and technology problems for organizations, contributing in different departments on the enterprise.
- Students can complete organizational upgrade and technology projects, that might require industry certifications. Upon course completion students prepared to take certification exams: CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) – Windows 7, HDI Support Center Analyst (HDI-SCA), HDI – Dockside Support Technician, ITIL Foundation, Apple OSX Certified Professional (ACSP), Mobility+ Administrator (IOS, Android and Windows), COMPTIA Network+ and COMPTIA Security+ and more.
- IT Support graduates can continue to upgrade their skills with the changing organizational needs. They can go back to college to get additional skills, using newly developed IT Computer Support Pathway.
MATC IT Computer Support Students Testimonials and Success stories